Position Opening: Executive Director
The Dennis Conservation Land Trust is a not-for-profit land trust, created in 1988 with a strong history of land preservation, an active board of directors, and a well-developed partnership with the Town of Dennis.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Deadline: November 15, 2019. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Core responsibilities of this position:
- Oversee the operations of all DCLT functions; oversee work of other staff and volunteers (i.e. Outreach & Stewardship Coordinator, contractual staff, AmeriCorp Member), and guide committees.
- Provide strategic vision, conduct periodic strategic planning with the DCLT Board, lead implementation of the strategic plan, recommend organizational directions to the Board.
- Serve as the face of DCLT to the public, develop and maintain strong working relationships with Town of Dennis staff, non-governmental organizations in Dennis, other land trusts and regional conservation organizations.
- Participate in the continual development of DCLT’s land acquisition strategy, including focus areas, acquisition criteria, and the identification of priority parcels.
- Oversee the implementation of acquisition projects.
- Coordinate, as required, with Town of Dennis departments and committees on acquisition strategy and specific acquisition projects.
- Represent DCLT in negotiations with land owners in key acquisition projects.
- Work closely with staff from the Compact of Cape Cod Conservation Trusts, Inc.
- Participate in the development and review of DCLT land stewardship strategy and policies.
- Oversee the operations of land stewardship, staff, and volunteer team
Communications, Outreach, and Education
- Oversee communications operations: participate in strategy, developing projects, bi-annual DCLT newsletter, and DCLT’s electronic media presence and media relations
- Direct and/or participate in DCLT outreach and education activities as required
- Maintain and recruit volunteers to fill appropriate roles with the organization (i.e. Auction volunteers, office, etc.)
- Participate in membership development and implementation of DCLT’s fund raising strategy
- Lead specific fund raising initiatives
- Code and enter donations in donor tracking software
- Steward relationships with major donors
- Organize annual fund raising events, including the annual auction
- Identify grant opportunities and lead or contribute to writing of specific grants
Administration and Finance
- Communicate Board direction to staff, oversee the implementation of priorities, report staff progress to Board.
- Supervise and manage the performance of DCLT staff. oversee the recruitment and operations of part-time staff, interns, and volunteers;
- Manage the administration of the office including mail pick-up, bank deposit preparation, and communicating with the bookkeeper
- Participate in Finance Committee meetings and advise on the allocation of resources
- Develop the annual operating budget in collaboration with DCLT committees
- Recommend and document organization policies to the Board
- Ensure operating compliance with DCLT finance and administrative policies and requirements for the operations of not-for-profit organizations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead a small organization, including working in a team environment, multi-tasking, providing direction and oversight, creating a positive environment for staff, and carrying out implementation details;
- Experience in a conservation-related field, demonstrated knowledge of and passion for land preservation;
- Ability to form strong working relationships with a variety of constituencies including donors, Board members, and Town officials;
- Proficiency and working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word Press, QuickBooks, donor management systems, and InDesign;
- Negotiating, fundraising, grant proposal preparation, budgeting, and development of new funding sources;
- Strong written and oral presentation skills, experience in giving public presentations.
- Understanding of the Dennis community is a plus.
Dennis Conservation Land Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer.